Conor is Batty About Bats
I liked bats for as long as I can remember.
Some people say bats are vicious! Some people think bats are
dirty. Some think that they will try to fly into your hair.
All of those things are not true. Most
bats are small. They are more afraid of people than we are of
them. A healthy bat will try to avoid you and won't attack. They
spend much of their time cleaning and grooming themselves. They can use
their sight and echolocation to avoid you, they will not get tangled in your
Here are some other facts you can tell people
Did You Know
This About Bats?
- There are 950 species of bats. Most bats eat insects
or fruit. Some eat fish or small animals. Only the vampire
bats feed on blood.
- In China many people believe that if a bat files
into your house it means good luck.
- Bats are not blind, some see as well as people
do. In the dark, many can see better. Some see as well as a
person using night-vision goggles. Others rely less on their sight and use sound (echolocation) to
- The smallest bat is the Bumblebee Bat of
Thailand. It weighs less than a penny. The largest bat is the
Giant Flying Fox of Indonesia and has a six foot wingspan.
- In Finland people believed that bats were the
souls of the dead and it was possible that a person's soul could take on the
form of a bat while he slept.
- A brown bat can eat up to 3,000 insects in one
night (many of these will be mosquitoes!)
- Bats pollinate the agave plant used to make
tequila. Without the bats, the plants would not survive.
- Bats are the only mammals capable of
- The vampire bat was named after the European
Want to know what bat you are most like?
Take my quiz!
Learn more about bats from my favorite